Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Snips, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails

My family's tradition of having pets is a dog or 2, breeds that don't grow to weigh more than you.

Kelby, on the other hand, grew up with lots of pets, from several dogs at a time (like big ones...Great Danes, who do weigh more than me!), to horses, deer, birds, fishes, etc. One of the latest additions at his parents' house is llamas!
(pic of Paige & Kelby-stole it from Paige's facebook page)
Poor Kelby married little old me, who is scared of big animals, could do without pets of any sort, is allergic to cats (I greatly dislike cats!), and has only been the owner of the species who speak via barking.
Last September ('09) I made an out-of-nowhere decision to buy a puppy from a family selling dogs in Walmart's parking lot ..I gave it a bath, got it all snuggled in the chair and surprised Kelby when he walked in the front door.
His first words were, "Um, why in the world would you choose a Boxer? They are really hyper, and plus I thought you were scared of them." We came to find out how true his statement was. Our gorgeous little Brindle Boxer, Remi (short for Remington) grew a bit quick, chewed on everything, tore up all the kid toys in the backyard, etc., etc. She did however get potty-trained and really got connected to Kelby, but we just didn't have enough time to spend with her, and with Kanyon due in February, we decided to give her away, come April/May 2010.
(these 2 pics-Oct.'09-Remi ready for Halloween & laying on my Kanyon baby bump)
I definately didn't want her around our precious bundle of joy, when she might jump on him! She was graciously accepted into a home with 2 wild boys and is hopefully living happily ever after there.

Which brings me to the present time...Kelby's big gift for Christmas....The Permission from his Wifey to get a Puppy!

Now that Kanyon is a second away from walking, and warm weather will be here before we know it, I figured a boy (both my big boy & Kankan) needs a dog, after all, what are little boys made of?

I've left the decision-making of the when, where, breed, etc. up to the Hubby. He really wants a Great Dane (yikes!), but I'm hoping that if we get a puppy, it'll "grow" on me, so that I can fall in love with the pup as it transforms into a giant dog.

I can already picture taking the dog to the lake with us, hitting up the track with the leash tied to the stroller, etc. It will be fun. The part I dread the most is the shedding in the house, and the pre-potty-train phase. But hey, a happy Hubby is a happy Wife, right?! Merry Christmas Kelby Wade!

No comments:

Post a Comment