Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Cooking with Kanyon ~ Firecracker 4th of July Cake!

After I saw pictures of this cake floating around on Pinterest, I knew it was meant to be for us to make our very own 4th of July Firecracker Cake!
Daddy was a sweetie, and remembered I had mentioned wanting to make a cool cake for the 4th, and came home with the goodies. Kanman and I got to work baking on July 2nd.

I rounded up my helper, sat him up on the counter, and we grabbed our ingredients..including the white cake box mix...
Our blue bowl doubled as a helmet pre-cooking.
Kanyon poured in the cake, Mommy added the eggs...
Kanyon added the water and oil..
We got out the mixer, that he called a drill (boys will be boys) and got to mixing...
We separated the batter into 3 different bowls so that we could color one red and one blue. I was about to have a breakdown when I realized we didn't have a drop of blue food coloring left, meaning I used it all up on Kanyon's birthday sweets. However, I managed to find blue sprinkles (also a leftover from his 2nd Bday) and prayed it would turn the batter blue.
Kanyon did the shake-shake-shaking of the sprinkles, and yes, as soon as it started melting (it took almost 1/2 the bottle) in the batter it changed into a pretty blue. Score.
We dropped in a few dollops of red food coloring and mixed it up. Kanyon loves to stir everything for me. I have to constantly keep a grasp on the bowl to prevent it from flying across the room due to his extremely fast stirring method.
After we had our 3 separate batter bowls in red, white, and blue...
it was time to start pouring the batter into the cake pan...a bundt pan. A bundt pan that I have never, ever, not once used during our almost 3 and 1/2 years of marriage! It still had the glue stickies from packaging on it. I sprayed it with nonstick spray after washing the dust off, and I poured in the Red...
the White..
and the Blue...
We put it in the oven to do it's thing, while we made a flag craft, and checked on it when the oven timer beeped. Pretty! Too bad that ends up the bottom of the cake!
The bottom, which of course ends up the top was ugly..that chunk missing wasn't intentional, but we did eat it after we found it stuck to the pan. Now on to prettying up the cake with...
Vanilla icing...the finger licking started here.
We separated the white icing into 3 bowls, placed all 3 in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pourable..
added blue sprinkles to one...
took a couple of licks to make sure it would be pleasing..
added Red food coloring to the one bowl...
and started drizzling our red, white, and blue colored icing...
notice he also taste-tested the red according to his stache...
My first attempt at the self-timer to show Kanyon one day that I was there with him in the kitchen..
My second attempt..yay. (excuse the non-makeupness-isn't it nice that kids don't judge, don't care if your fancified or not)
Licking the spoons clean after finishing up the icing of the cake.
Our Firecracker Cake before we sliced into it...
Slap my pappy, this cake is the bomb!
Beautiful inside, and out!!
We took our stolen chunk of cake to the table and scarfed it down. There was no waiting on anyone else to come try it out with us, it was too pretty to let sit there all day long.
Finger-licking good!
I'm sure I'll be putting my bundt pan to use more often..maybe Kam/Ken's bday in August. This cake was easy, quick and the colorfulness is splendid. Fun cooking with my buddy.

1 comment:

  1. That is to sweet - good memories in the making (or baking, should I say)!And the cake was yummy!!! Thanks for letting us invite ourselves over for a piece!

    ReplyDelete