Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Picking Apples & Seeing Red

After dressing my boy in a RED shirt, I went through allll of Kanyon's toys and picked out anything and everything that had a picture of an apple on it, I even found this long forgotten teething ring in the red fruit's shape.
 An alphabet block from his ABC Train...
 These are only 3 of several books that I already own that have various apples pictured in them that we read throughout the day.
 Guess what Disney movie was playing on TV this morning? Snow White! How perfect, Kanyon was looking at me crazily when I showed my enthusiasm whenever the apple appeared on the screen.
 I found this craft online. All I had to do was print out the template, cut it out, then Kanyon helped me glue all the pieces together to show an apple with its core and seeds showing. I acted like we were eating it, yum, yum.
 After dinner we made this book, showing how apples come in different colors.
Like Green..
 And Yellow....
 I added the Letter A to the last apple in the book, and wrote 1's, 2's, & 3's on the other apples to practice counting and the repeat of recognizing letter A, along with the colors featured.
 One thing I used to do with the other kids is fill buckets with toys of a specific color, or have them look around the room and bring me toys of said color. So I emptied out a red basket and refilled it with RED toys of various shapes and sizes, including: a book, blocks, cars/trucks, a hammer, baseball glove, mitten, plate, cup, spoon, mini piano, links, bath foam letters, etc.

Not only did this idea work well with learning the color Red, but some of these toys usually get ignored due to the fact they were stowed in some dark container or shelf, so it kept Kanyon pretty entertained throughout the day.
 Firetrucks and Matchbox cars. I love the fact that all of the Hot Wheels are hand-me-downs from Nick & Landon (my cousin). Some of them are even from when I was in elementary school. Even though I'm a girl, I LOVED playing with Hot Wheels. I'm betting a little Robinson boy I know will be recieving race tracks for Christmas (more for his mom and dad to play with!).
 Like I said, he was pretty entertained by the red bucket...
 Fun Day.