Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shots, Sadness, Surprises

Kanyon had his 18 months checkup on Thursday morning. I felt so guilty as he sat all bubbly, giggly, excited to be sitting in the big boy chair in the waiting room all by himself, as we colored in his Curious George book.
 Here is my boy pre-shots....
 And after shots....complete sadness consumed my sweet baby after that mean old nurse gave him FOUR (really?!?) shots in his tender, chunky thighs. She also had to prick his finger to draw blood to fill up a tube to test his iron levels (standard test), that was worse than the shots...she squeezed his finger for about 2 minutes trying to get enough blood out, while he screamed, kicked, and no doubt would have been saying naughty words if he knew any.
 Thank goodness for M&Ms! I know, 'they' say we shouldn't reward our kids with food. I'd say this is definately an exception. I also had a chocolate milk ready for his gulping. It's no surprise he was fast asleep within 2 minutes of leaving the doctor's parking lot. Good news though, he won't need shots until his 3 year old appointment..sweet!

His stats...weight: 24.5 lbs. (70th percentile I think)
height 32.5 inches (50th percentile)
head circumference: 19.5...doc's words were "he has a big head" when he was telling me percentiles. A healthy, growing boy we have. We hadn't been to the doc since his 12-month check-up. I do not take that blessing for granted. Hoping the future autumn/winter weather keeps ear infections/severe colds at bay.